This energy from waste/combined heat and power plant is part of a Private Finance Initiative (PFI) waste management project by the Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority (GMWDA). According to the GMWDA, the waste management project is providing an integrated solution for the 1.3 million tonnes of municipal waste which the authority handles each year, and is the “first of its kind” in the UK on this scale.
It is diverting more than 75% of Greater Manchester’s waste away from landfill. The plant includes 4 grate-boiler/flue gas cleaning process lines, with its auxiliaries and corresponding steam turbines generating a combined electrical output of 91MW. Part of the generated steam is exported to the neighbouring plant of Ineos Chlor.
Suir Engineering Scope of Work
- 2No 8Mva 33/6.6KV Power Transformers.
- Auxiliary Transformers (6.6kV/690V and 6.6/0.415 kV)
- 33KV & 6.6Kv MV Voltage Distribution Systems.
- MV Protection Systems & Control Panels.
- 110/24V DC and 230V UPS Supplies.
- Emergency diesel generator for safe shut down of the plant.
- Earthing Systems.
- Cabling – MV, LV, Instrumentation and Control Cables.
- Instrument Installation, Commissioning & Loop Checking.
- Design, Construct & Install DCS-Remote I/O Control Panels.